I set up this website to help you guys out with vegan health and weight loss. Yet here I am posting recipe after recipe to fatten you up in a slightly more healthy way – vegan cookies, vegan pancakes…. and now vegan french toast!
This is a nifty, gluten-free and low sugar recipe for vegan french toast.
I know I should be giving you a lot more health tips and advice, lean recipes with lots of vegetables and all that jazz. But the fact is that you should be able to treat yourself once in a while, and if you can make those treats healthy then you can enjoy yourself and your vegan weight loss meal plan a lot more.
So here we go….Gluten-free, vegan French toast
The first thing you need to do is have vegan bread that is also gluten free. So let’s start with the recipe for that!
I like to give myself a little bit of extra sweetness so I go for vegan banana bread that is also free of wheat and gluten.
Ingredients for vegan gluten free banana bread:
- 1.5 cups coconut flour
- 1 cup almond glour
- 1 cup dates
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C/350°F
- Blend your dates, bananas and milk in a blender until it is a smooth paste and then add in the vanilla and blend again.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift both kinds of flour, along with the rest of your dry ingredients and mix thoroughly then stir in your banana mixture a little bit at a time until it is all mixed in.
- You want quite a thick, sticky batter. If it is too thin, add a bit of extra flour.
- Line a loaf tin or bread pan with greaseproof paper and pour your batter in.
- Bake in on the middle shelf for at least 60 minutes (probably longer) until it is done. You’ll know it is done when you stick a knife in the middle and it comes out with no batter on it. Depending on your bread pan, this can and often does take a lot more than an hour.
- Allow the bread to cool before removing from the pan and baking paper.
- The banana bread is now ready, but for our vegan french toast we actually want it to be a little bit old because it holds its shape a little bit better.
Vegan French Toast Ingredients
- As many slices of your banana bread as you want, but for this recipe we’re going to go with 6 slices so I can tell you how much of the rest of the ingredients you need!
- 1/2 cup almond, hazelnut or coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp cinammon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mixed fruit and nuts of your choice (this is your topping/garnish)
- Coconut butter to cook your toast in
Vegan French Toast Method
- Mix all of your ingredients (excluding your bread slices) together, and make sure all of the powders dissolve and are not lumpy
- Heat a frying pan, and throw in a small knob of coconut butter. When it sizzles, it is the right temperature for cooking. You want a high heat or it will ruin the taste and texture of the banana bread vegan french toast concoction.
- Pour the milky mixture out in a flat bowl. Dip a slice of your bread, flip over so it is covered on both sides and then put it in the hot pan to cook.
- Cook on each side until it is a deep golden brown and nice and crispy.
- Do each slice one at a time. You don’t want to leave the bread to soak, because it will give you a soggy texture on the inside even after cooking.
- Serve warm, topped with the fruit, mixed nuts or other toppings of your choice!
And there you go, vegan French toast!
Do you have any recommended adaptations or modifications? If so please share them – comments section below, or on our Facebook page!
Photo by JeffreyW