This recipe for vegan carrot cake is rich, indulgent, moist and probably not great for you! BUT I have made some substitutions so you’re still keeping away from nasties like refined sugar and gluten! So it is a healthier way of being unhealthy I guess!
Here we have a simple, easy to follow vegan carrot cake recipe that is moist, low in fat and cholesterol, super simple to make and has no refined sugar or gluten in it! How awesome is that!
Ingredients For Vegan Carrot Cake
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup organic applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp agave nectar or stevia
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Vegan cream cheese for frosting
Method for vegan carrot cake
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C/325°F
- Line a baking tin with greaseproof paper
- In a mixing bowl, sift your flour and baking powder
- Gradually stir in all your wet ingredients, until you have a thick batter
- Stir in your carrots & walnuts and stir thoroughly until the mixture is fully combined. You want quite a thick texture.
- Pour into your baking tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven. This should take around 45-50 minutes, but it can some times take longer. You’ll know its done if you poke a knife in the middle and it comes out clean.
- Once baked, allow to cool before removing from baking tin
- Frost with vegan cream cheese frosting. If you don’t know how to make or where to get vegan cream cheese, I’ve already got you covered! That recipe is a little bit more complex than the carrot cake itself though!
Vegan Cream Cheese
Ingredients for vegan cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of raw cashews, soaked for at least 24 hours
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
Method for vegan cream cheese
- Drain and rinse your soaked cashews and pour into a blender
- Add your remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until as smooth as possible. Allow to rest for 3 hours
- Pour the mixture into a draped cheesecloth, tie the cloth and allow to drain in a warm place for around 24 hours
- Remove from the cheesecloth and you have got unflavoured vegan cream cheese. To make it into vegan cream cheese frosting, all you need to do is add some flavouring (some carrot or orange, a little bit of sweetness) and thin it down a little bit and you’re all set!
So there you go. That is the complete guide to gluten free vegan carrot cake, complete with raw, vegan cream cheese frosting!